Monday, November 19, 2007

Piper Rocks! (part two)

I was listening to John Piper preach this morning as I rolled into my law office and was amazed at what I heard. In 2003, Bethlehem Baptist Church, where Piper preaches, averaged 2700 every weekend. In 2006, the weekly attendance increased to 4000. Two weeks ago, Bethlehem hit the 5000 mark.

Think about this--a 60-year old Calvinist preacher who preaches for 45 minutes after a service with an old school choir, etc. has led a church in one of the 3-4 most unchurched areas of the country to nearly double its attendance in 4 years.

How?

Missional training, multiple campuses and, of course, great expository preaching about the Holiness of God, the sinfulness of man and atonement that can only be found in Christ.

I'll say it again, Piper rocks!