Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Save Me From This Book

I was really looking forward to reading Brian "Head" Welch's autobiography "Save Me From Myself" but boy do I wish I had the time I wasted on that book back!

For those of you who don't know, Brian Welch (or "Head") was the lead guitarist for the nu-metal band Korn. He left the group just as they were about to sign a huge multi-million dollar deal because he had become a Christian and no longer felt that he could write and play the type of music that made Korn famous.

His conversion was world wide news as was his dramatic baptism in the Jordan River. He stated in interviews that once he accepted Christ, his addictions to alcohol and speed disappeared as did the constant depression that once enveloped him.

I was a huge Korn fan. They are heavy, unique, talented and boast the best bass player since Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers emerged in the mid-80's. It was exciting news that one of them had been saved and I eagerly looked forward to reading the book which has sat in my "To Read" pile for months.

Yet, the book is a major disappointment. The first half is the typical Behind the Music fodder that has just become boring and the second half is clearly the rantings of a very immature Christian. To be fair, he has only been a Christian for a few years but that's why there are ghost writers and/or co-authors! Head, his nickname comes from childhood taunts about having a disproportionally large noggin', arrogantly advocates praying in tongues and searching your dreams for prophetic announcements rather than studying scripture and engaging in other spiritual disciplines. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against tongues and certainly if God wants to speak through dreams then that's His business, but many secular Korn fans who pick up the book may be misled by Head's version of charismatic legalism.

I certainly am glad that Head has come to Christ and, as a former Korn devotee, I eagerly await his debut Christian Metal album (which is already well overdue) but do yourself a favor and skip the book. Hopefully in 10 years he'll write another one that's a little deeper and more reflective.