Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Notes on Romans--Part Eight


Before we press on, here is my translation of Romans 1:1-12 (the introduction to the letter), do with it what you will--
1:1 This letter is from Paul, one solely devoted to Jesus the deliverer, commissioned to be His messenger, for the good news of God. 2 This is the new good news He promised long ago through His spokespersons, as recorded in the Bible, 3 concerning His son, who was a descendant of King David in His earthly existence, 4 who was royally proclaimed to be THE son of God by His resurrection from the dead by the Holy Spirit, Jesus our deliverer and King. 5 Through Him we have received many unmerited gifts and the commission to bring about the obedience of loyalty to Jesus among all peoples to the glory of His name. 6 You also are among those divinely commanded to belong to Jesus the deliverer. 7 To all of those loved by God in Rome, commanded to be set apart for God's work: Blessings and Peace to you from God our Father and King Jesus, the deliverer.
1:8 First of all, I thank my God through Jesus our High Priest for all of you, because your loyalty to and belief and trust in Jesus is spoken of throughout the Roman Empire. 9 For God, whom I serve with everything I have by proclaiming the good news of His son, is my witness that I think of you often and 10 pray regularly that I can now, at last, succeed in visiting you by the will of God. 11 For I really want to visit you, so that I may use my gifts to help you 12 and that you may use yours to help me.
Now, I have obviously made some theological judgments in my translation of the Greek but I'll let you work out your own translation with fear and trembling. More later.