Saturday, March 15, 2008

Notes on Romans--Part Ten


Sorry for the delay but I spent yesterday driving through Pennsylvania.
We now come to Romans 1:16-17 which is the thesis statement of the whole book.
My translation of the Greek reads as follows:
"For I am not ashamed of the good news, for it is the dynamic power of God for deliverance from death and despair to everyone who believes, to the Jews first and then the Gentiles, for the salvific actions of God have been revealed in the good news from first to last by belief and trust in and loyalty to King Jesus, for as it is written, "those acquitted by faith will live."
A loose translation, I know but one that I think gets the point across without the need to belabor you unduly with a lot of word studies. We will see this thesis statement played out throughout the sixteen chapters of Romans.
We begin the argument of the letter tomorrow.
PS--once again, if this is boring you then check out my stuff on church planting over at my Myspace blog at:
God bless.