Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Strategery!



It is impossible for me (and possibly anyone 40 and under with a sense of humor) to see President Bush and not think of Will Ferrell doing George Bush (remember "strategery!") and last night I think I would have preferred Ferrell to the endless, forgettable laundry list of items doled about by the President during his last State of the Union address.

I had hoped that the President would rise to the occasion and give a spirited rally cry for freedom in the Middle East and a timeline for energy independence but what we got was a boring hour of "gimme, gimme, gimme" and "don't, don't, don't."

It is obvious that Bush realizes that history will judge him by the war in Iraq as it was THE focus of the speech. Much to the left's chagrin, the war is going very well even in the jaundiced eyes of the The New York Times and The Washington Post. All that aside, I wish Bush had actually spent nearly all of the speech on the war instead of diluting it with a check list of programs that have no hope of passing within the next year.

I speak as a strong supporter of the war who has several close friends in Iraq right now (shout out to David French who is serving on the Iraq-Iran border!) and tried to volunteer for the war on terror myself (I will admit, much to my embarrassment, that I was told that I was too old and had suffered too many health problems to serve). During the last few years (and last night), Bush had the opportunity to convince the world that there is a world war going on between radical Muslims but, once again, he blew it.