Monday, May 26, 2008

America is Courage, Freedom and the Proud Home of Hair Metal!




I grew up in the '80's when Patriotism was in, Ronald Reagan was President & had the Russkies on the run and a wonderfully awesome thing called hair metal ruled the Billboard charts! As I was sitting here on this Memorial Day thinking about the brave men and women who have defended this great nation, I listened intently to the tools over Sirius Radio countdown their pathetic attempt at the 100 Greatest Hair Metal Songs. It took me back to the days when I donned two earrings, ripped jeans and black tee shirts while my stereo pumped out the awesomeness of GNR, L.A. Guns, KISS, Dokken, etc.


As patriotic images echoed throughout my noggin to the sounds of RATT and Whitesnake on my satellite radio, it reminded me that many courageous men and women are still missing in action and that many rad hair bands have been too easily forgotten.

Oh, sure, most Americans have heard of Bon Jovi, Van Halen and even Twisted Sister but how many of you have ever rocked out to Black 'N Blue? Some of you may remember Quiet Riot's gnarly cover of Slade's "Cum' on Feel the Noize" but how many of you ever cranked your cassette player to "The Wild & The Young" from the forgotten album QRIII?

Such a tragedy demands a response or, to quote one of my favorite films, "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part" and I'm just the guy to do it!

So, over at my Myspace blog (myspace.com/mrrrawlings) , I will soon begin the A-Z of friggin' awesome but forgotten hair metal videos. Enjoy and God bless America!