Thursday, May 1, 2008

Notes on Romans--Part Fifty







Here is my translation of Chapter 16:



I send to you our sister Phoebe, who is a deacon in the church in Cenchrea. Welcome her in the name of our King as one who is worthy of respect among God's chosen people. Help her in anyway she needs for she has been of great assistance to many, especially to me!



Give my best to Priscilla and Aquilla, my fellow soldiers of King Jesus. In fact, they once risked their lives for me! I am grateful for them and so are the churches among the nations. Also give my best to the church that meets in their home.



Welcome my close friend Epenetus, he was the first person from the area of Asia to pledge loyalty to the King. Say hello to Mary for me. She has worked so hard for your sake.



Also say hello to Andronicus and Junia, my fellow countrymen, who were in prison with me. They shine among the Apostles! They fought for King before I did!



Welcome Ampliatus, my close friend and fellow soldier. Great Urbanus, another soldier for our King, and my buddy Stachys.



Say hello to Apelles, a good person who our King approves and give my best to the believers from the family of Aristobulus. Give my best to Herodian my fellow countryman. Warmly welcome the King's followers from the family of Narcissus. Give my best to Tryphena and Tryphosa, the King's loyal soldiers and to my friend Persis who has struggled for the King.



Welcome Rufus whom the King chose to be his very own and also to his dear mother who has been like a mother to me.



Say hello to Asyncrtius, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas and their families. Also, send my best to Philogus, Julia, Nereus and his sister and to Olympas and all the believers who meet with them.



Greet each other warmly. All the gatherings of our King across the known world send you their best.



And now I must make one more request, my family. Watch out for those who cause trouble and shake people's belief in- and trust in our King by teaching things contrary to what you have been taught. Stay away from them! These people are not serving King Jesus; they are serving their own selfish desires. They preach polished sermons filled with cute stories which seduce the naive.



Everyone, however, knows that YOU are obedient to the King and this makes me happy. I just want you to be wise, do what is right and avoid evil. The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your boots. May you dwell in the divine favor of King Jesus.



Timothy, my fellow soldier, sends you his best as does Lucius, Jason and Sosipater my fellow countrymen.



I, Tertius, the one writing down Paul's words for you send my best too as a soldier of King Jesus.



Gaius says hello to you. He is our host and also hosts the entire church here. Erastus, the city treasurer, sends you his best and so does our brother Quartus.



Now, all honor and worship to God who is able to make you strong, just as the Good News says. This message about King Jesus has revealed His plan for you among the nations, a plan kept secret from the very beginning of time but now, as the prophets foretold just as eternal God commanded them, this message is made know to all the nations across the world, so that they too might believe and obey the King.



All honor and worship to the only wise God through King Jesus forever, Amen!