Friday, May 16, 2008

The Coolest Mutha' this side of the Mississippi



Growing up, I believed that Nikki Sixx was the coolest dude on the planet. For those too young or too old, Sixx is the founder, chief songwriter and bassist for Motley Crue. The man made me want to play bass and gave me hope that someone with no natural musical ability could still crank out kick tail music.


Now that I'm older (and a little bolder to quote a Ratt song...okay okay, I'm getting my head out of 1986), I think that Nikki may get a run for his money by none other than Al Mohler!


Of course, Al is president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, radio talk show host, candidate for president of the southern baptist convention, author, theologian, political commentator, columnist, middleweight ultimate fighting champion and drummer for Aerosmith (some of those may not be true, you're never sure when Wikipedia gets it wrong).


Anyway, I've been reading Mohler's latest book "Culture Shift" and it is nothing short of a brilliant defense of a Christian's duty to engage the culture including public policy. I highly recommend it for any fellow policy wonk. He may smile like a dude on shrooms and look like he raided Jos A. Banks' closet but Al is definitely giving Mr. Sixx a run for his money on my cool meter (he has at least moved ahead of Axl Rose...I mean will Chinese Democracy ever really be released???).


Here's to ya', Al! If you master the opening bass solo to "For Whom the Bell Tolls" then you will be unrivaled in my book.